Ever started a book and thought “Nah, the writing sucks” then ditched it?
It has happened to me more than once. But I occasionally keep reading a bad book. Why?
Because it’s a wonderful example of what not to do. So next time you come upon a poorly written story, consider grabbing a metaphorical scalpel and dissecting the little wretch.
- What exactly don’t you like?
- If you had to edit the book, what would you change?
- How can you improve the writing style?
- How can you develop that annoyingly flat character?
- What can you do to improve the chemistry between the characters?
- How can you fill in those plot holes?
Read a bad book, answer these questions and take notes on what to avoid doing when you write your own book.