People often say that you should strive to grab your readers with your first sentence. They’d advice you to write something thought-provoking, scandalous or shocking. While I agree that those work, you shouldn’t shock your readers with something that’s out of place with the rest of your story. That sentence or scene will provoke strong emotions in your readers and if they can’t see a point in it, then they’d be left unsatisfied, annoyed or even angry.
For more on you and your readers, check these tips out:
- Tuesday Tiny Writing Tip #10 – Don’t Blackmail Your Wattpad Readers
- Tuesday Tiny Writing Tip #29 – Your Effort and Your Readers
- Tuesday Tiny Writing Tip #45 – Let’s Get Conversational
- Tuesday Tiny Writing Tip #49 – Promises, Promises
- Tuesday Tiny Writing Tip #52 – When Someone Tells You That You Are Wrong