Cash – Lucky, Book 2*
*This book can be read as a standalone as it follows a new couple
Word count: 60 000
Themes & Genres: Contemporary LGBT Romance, gay, bisexual, hunting saboteurs
WARNING: Mature Content
Cash is a car mechanic with a secret. Head down, sleeves up, he hides from the past as much as his shattered heart, until a reluctant stumble into a Tottenham bar ends in the one night stand of his dreams.
Hunt saboteur Rae can’t believe his luck when he wakes up the next morning. Cash is gorgeous, and the hottest hook up he’s ever had. He doesn’t expect to see him again, until a twist of fate lands him on Cash’s doorstep a few months later.
United by a cause that’s broken Cash before, they are drawn together. They have more in common than they ever imagined, but with Cash haunted by the past, and Rae so tangled in the present, it’s not long before love isn’t enough to keep them alive.
What I think of the book:
Garrett Leigh’s Cash is a little bit different from other books I’ve read by this author.
While there have been action scenes in her other works, Cash strikes me as a more adrenaline and action-packed story than the rest. That’s because the story follows two fox hunt saboteurs who are constantly getting themselves into trouble while trying to save the furry creatures.
While illegal hunts and animal death are a very sensitive topic that might put off some readers from picking up this book, I should point out that there’s no detailed description of animal abuse. We can still see the devastation by the characters’ reactions though and as is Garrett’s custom, the reactions that she wrote make these characters pop from the page and appear real.
So, do you get the usual angsty personas we are used to seeing in the works of Garrett?
Yes. It’s just that the setting gives me a bit of a different vibe than what I’ve come to expect from her books, even though hot guys with a soft spot for animals isn’t really anything new (think of the people on Whisper farm from her Skins series or Dex from Heart).
All in all, Cash is another engaging, thought-provoking and emotionally challenging book by Garrett Leigh.
Who would I recommend this book to? I’d recommend Cash to Garrett’s already existing fanbase, as well as to readers who are looking for a rollercoaster romance and not afraid to face the very real issues of animal abuse.
Also, if you enjoyed the first book – Lucky, and miss the main characters: you get to catch up with them here.
My rating: (5/5 foxes)
Would I re-read this book? Yes.
Am I interested in other books by this author? Yes.
Where can you buy the book?
Other books by this author that I’ve already reviewed:
- Dream – Skins, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT Fiction, Contemporary Romance | Mature Content)
- Whisper – Skins, Book 2 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance | Mature Content)
- Crossroads – Skins, Book 4 (Contemporary Romance, LGBT, gay, novella | Mature Content)
- Kiss Me Again (standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, gay, bisexual, bipolar, anxiety, depression, trauma | Mature Content)
- Bullet – Blue Boy Studio, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | Gay Fiction, Romance, Contemporary | Mature Content)
- Misfits – Urban Soul, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT Fiction, Contemporary Romance, polyamorous | Mature Content)
- Soul to Keep – Rented Heart, Book 2 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT, Contemporary Romance, trauma, addiction | Mature Content)
- Junkyard Heart – Porthkennack, Book 7 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Fiction, Romance | Mature Content)
- Lucky (standalone | LGBT, MM, Contemporary Romance, gay, pan, football/soccer | Mature Content
- Jude – Lucky, Book 3 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, bi, gay, coming out | Mature Content)
- Only Love (standalone | Contemporary Romance, LGBT Fiction, gay, trauma, angst, army | Mature Content)
Want to win an e-book by Garrett Leigh? Enter the giveaway!
Garrett Leigh is an award-winning British writer and book designer, currently working for Dreamspinner Press, Loose Id, Riptide Publishing, and Fox Love Press.
Garrett’s debut novel, Slide, won Best Bisexual Debut at the 2014 Rainbow Book Awards, and her polyamorous novel, Misfits was a finalist in the 2016 LAMBDA awards.
When not writing, Garrett can generally be found procrastinating on Twitter, cooking up a storm, or sitting on her behind doing as little as possible, all the while shouting at her menagerie of children and animals and attempting to tame her unruly and wonderful FOX.
Garrett is also an award winning cover artist, taking the silver medal at the Benjamin Franklin Book Awards in 2016. She designs for various publishing houses and independent authors at blackjazzdesign.com, and co-owns the specialist stock site moonstockphotography.com with photographer Dan Burgess.
Where to find her:
Have you read anything by Garrett?
What did you think of it?
Share in the comments!