Falling for My Roommate (standalone)*
*Note: One of the main characters – Micah, popped up a couple of times in Garrett’s Lucky series, but you can read this book without having read that series
Cover design: Black Jazz Design
Themes and genres: LGBT Contemporary Romance, gay, bisexual, friends to lovers, roommates, angst, recovery
WARNING: Mature Content
Falling for his roommate gives ex footballer Micah the second chance he deserves, and what could be better than loving your best friend?
I’m a broke ex-football player with a bum leg and PTSD. Last summer, I had two choices: the streets, or find a cheap room to rent in the city. I chose the second option, which landed me with a brand-new problem, cos I hadn’t banked on my roommate becoming my best friend. Or that before long I’d find myself head over heels in love with him. Trouble is, even if Sam likes me back, I ain’t fit to be no one’s boyfriend. I don’t know how. All I do is wade through every precious moment and hope that he doesn’t regret the day he ever met me.
I’m a gay book nerd with no business falling in love with hunky athletes. Micah is the dictionary definition of beautiful, inside and out, he just doesn’t know it. And he definitely doesn’t know I’m ridiculously in love with him. The embarrassing kind of love.
He’s all I can think about.
But it’s not as simple as loving someone who doesn’t love me back. Micah is damaged goods—at least, that’s how he’d put it. The world has chewed him up and spat him out, and he thinks he deserved it. That he’s still the battered mess he was a year ago.
I want to shake him, and shout in his face that he’s not. To force the truth on him and make him believe in himself the way I do. But I can’t save Micah. One day, perhaps he’ll realise that he already saved himself.
What I think of the book:
Oh, Micah! I’ve wanted a book with you since you popped up in Lucky!
As per usual, Garrett Leigh did not disappoint.
Not only did he give us a story with a minor character who was hinted at having the same problem as Dom in Lucky (that’s to say “I’m into guys and that could ruin my career and therefore my whole life”), but she made it a good one. Oh, so, so good one.
This book can get pretty heavy at places. It isn’t just a coming out/self-discovery story; it isn’t just a love story; it’s about digging yourself out of a hole full of despair… With the help of a gorgeous, kind and understanding man.
There’s some miscommunication (okay, a lot) between the two leads and yes, it’s annoying, and yes, it will make you scream at them, but the resolution of their problems leaves you so satisfied that you wouldn’t stay angry at the guys for not simply sitting down to talk.
Basically, this is another emotional rollercoaster ride by an author who flings her stories straight at your soul.
Who would I recommend this book to? I’d recommend Falling for My Roommate to all Garrett Leigh fans and to readers who want to experience a myriad of emotions.
My rating: (5/5 footballs)
Would I re-read this book? Yes.
Am I interested in other books by this author? Yes.
Where can you buy the book?
Want to win an e-book copy of Garrett’s Lucky? Enter the giveaway!
Other books by this author that I’ve already reviewed:
- Bullet – Blue Boy Studio, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | Gay Fiction, Romance, Contemporary | Mature Content)
- Dream – Skins, Book 1 (LGBT Fiction, Contemporary Romance | Mature Content)
- Whisper – Skins, Book 2 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT Fiction, Contemporary Romance | Mature Content)
- Crossroads – Skins, Book 4 (Contemporary Romance, LGBT, gay, novella | Mature Content)
- Kiss Me Again (standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, gay, bisexual, bipolar, anxiety, depression, trauma | Mature Content)
- Misfits – Urban Soul, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT Fiction, Contemporary Romance, polyamorous | Mature Content)
- Soul to Keep – Rented Heart, Book 2 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT, Contemporary Romance, trauma, addiction | Mature Content)
- Junkyard Heart – Porthkennack, Book 7 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Fiction, Romance | Mature Content)
- Lucky – Lucky, Book 1 (this book can be read as a standalone | LGBT, MM, Contemporary Romance, gay, pan, football/soccer | Mature Content)
- Cash – Lucky, Book 2 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, gay, bisexual, hunting saboteurs | Mature Content)
- Jude – Lucky, Book 3 (this book can be read as a standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, bi, gay, coming out | Mature Content)
- Only Love (standalone | Contemporary Romance, LGBT Fiction, gay, trauma, angst, army | Mature Content)
- Fated Hearts – Shadow Bound, Book 1 by Garrett Leigh (Contemporary LGBT Romance, Fantasy, shifters, soulmates, war | Mature Content)
- Hometown Christmas (standalone | Contemporary LGBT Romance, gay, bi, friends to lovers, holiday romance, Christmas, ex military | Mature Content)
Have you read anything by Garrett?
What did you think of it?
Share in the comments!